I love cinnamon sugar treats. This is a great brunch item or Sunday snack.
They travel well, and without any icing, they are lighter than traditional cinnamon rolls.
They do, however, take quite a bit of time to rise and layer, etc. There is also a floury mess on your counter-tops. It is totally worth it in the end.
It is a great felling when they rise up from this:
Cinnamon Fantails, adapted from Naturally EllaIngredients
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons earth balance
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2-1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon earth balance, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- In a small bowl combine ground flax seed and water, set aside. Heat soy milk to 100-110 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add milk, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for about five minutes or until yeast activates. Add in earth balance , flax seed mixture, salt, and the wheat flour. Give a good stir with a spoon. Begin adding the all-purpose flour 1/4 cup at a time, letting it mix in before adding more. You want your dough to be soft (but not sticky) and the key to that is adding just enough flour so that it pulls away from the sides of the bowl but may still slightly stick to the bottom.
- Knead dough for 5-8 minutes, adding more flour as necessary. Form into a ball, place back in the bowl, brush it with a oil, and let it sit in a warm, draft free spot until it doubles in size, 1- 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a 8 by 12 rectangle. Brush melted earth balance over surface and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut the dough into 6 strips (cutting the shorter of the length-it’s easier to handle.)
- Stack the strips on top of each other and cutting downward, cut 10 pieces. Brush muffin tins with oil and place each piece in the tin. Cover and let rise again for 45 minutes.
- After about a half hour of rising, pre-heat your oven to 350˚. Once rolls have risen and oven is up to temperature, bake for 15-20 minutes. Fantails should be firm to the touch and golden brown. Remove from oven and eat warm!