I love cooked tomatoes over pasta. Add in some greens and salty cheese, and you have a winning combination.
This is a quick and healthy weeknight meal. Serve it with a side salad, some bread and/or beans. I made this dish last week while I was carbo-loading for the Marine Corps Marathon! You can still enjoy this without running 26.2.
This dish is best in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak. Feel free to use goat or brie cheese if feta is not really your style. I happen to love feta and use it in anything I can!
Pasta with Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta, adapted from the New York Times
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach, rinsed, or 1 bunch (about 12 ounces) fresh spinach, stemmed and washed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes (grape, plum, roma, whatever!), finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons slivered basil
- 1 pound farfalle or fusilli
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Begin heating a large pot of water for the pasta. Wash the spinach, and wilt in batches over high heat in a large frying pan. Transfer to a colander, rinse with cold water and then squeeze dry. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- Dry the pan, and heat over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the garlic. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Stir in the tomatoes. Turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook the tomatoes, stirring often, until they have cooked down to a fragrant sauce, 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the basil and spinach. Keep warm.
- When the pasta water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the pasta. Cook until just al dente and firm to the bite. Add a ladleful of the pasta water to the pan with the tomatoes and spinach, then drain the pasta and toss immediately with the tomato-spinach mixture and the goat cheese, which should melt. Serve at once.
- irbjgveiouriwegnvpwr likes this
- rhiannonsays likes this
- where-art-thou-destroya reblogged this from justabitvegetarian
- justabitvegetarian reblogged this from chippedbowl
- partyoftwo likes this
- theveggiemonologue reblogged this from chippedbowl
- godblessuhmerica likes this
- speakerforthetrees likes this
- chippedbowl posted this