This was an amazing dish. It is easy, flavorful, and the leftovers (if there are any) taste even better the next day. A and I recently discovered Gardein crispy fingers, which go perfectly in this dish. Yes this dish is full of mock meat and cheese, so don’t make it daily, but it will just hit the spot sometime.
Chickenless Taquitos, adapted from the tolerant vegan
- 3 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup salsa verde or red salsa
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
- 8 ounces vegan “chicken” strips, chopped (I used Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Strips)
- 1/2 cup shredded dairy-free cheddar/pepper jack cheese (I used Daiya)
- 12 (6-inch) or 6 (12-inch) corn tortillas
- sprinkle of sea salt
- sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Combine your garlic, chopped cilantro, scallions, yellow onion, red bell pepper, dairy-free cheese, black beans and chicken-less chicken into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the softened vegan cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, chile powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt and black pepper.
- Combine the cream cheese blend with the chicken, cheeses and veggies and stir.
- Spoon filling into each tortilla and roll tightly.
- Place seam side-down on a baking sheet and lightly spray the tops with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tops begin to brown.