Sorry there are not many pictures of the finished product. They disappeared too quickly, it was hard to take any photos. These toffee bars are fantastic. Other winner from Chef Chloe.
Chocolate Toffee Bars, adapted from Chloe’s Kitchen
- 1 cup flour (wheat is fine)
- 3/4 cup chilled vegan butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 TB soy milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8” square pan with foil or parchment paper long enough to hang over the edge.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, 1/2 cup margarine (vegan butter), powdered sugar and cinnamon until crumbly. Press into pan and bake for 18-20 minutes, until slightly golden. Chill in the fridge.
- In a small saucepan, heat brown sugar, 1/4 cup vegan butter and soy milk over medium heat. Stir frequently. Once mixture comes together, increase heat to medium-high for 1-2 minutes, until it begins to boil and bubbles move into the center. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the chilled shortbread crust. Let cool and return to the fridge.
- Melt chocolate chips. Spread over the caramel layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and return to the fridge. Let chill until solid.