I got radishes in my CSA box. I have never cooked with radishes before. That was before. Now, I have made this lovely hors d’oeuvre. It is perfect on hot summer nights, and this pesto makes a fabulous dip on its own. We will be making this more and more; I’m sure.
Roasted Radishes with Almond Mint Pesto, adapted from food52
- 1 large bunch radishes
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 T fresh oregano leaves
- 2 T capers
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- 2 TB lemon juice
- kosher salt + pepper, to taste
- 8 thin slices of crusty bread, toasted in the broiler for 1-1.5 minutes
- Make the pesto: Mix almonds, herbs, capers and garlic in food processor until smooth. Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper.
- Prep the radishes: Remove stems and leaves from radishes and scrub well. Cut off the tails, then cut lengthwise into small wedges of roughly equal size.
- To roast the radishes, toss them with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and arrange in a single layer in a roasting pan. Roast at 400 F for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until the radishes are soft and cooked through.
- Preheat your broiler to medium-high. Once you’ve cooked the radishes (either in the oven or stovetop), place the pan under the broiler for a few minutes, until the radishes get slightly charred in spots. Watch them carefully and often so they don’t burn.
- Spread a layer of pesto over your toasted bread, top with radishes, and enjoy!